Early Churches, Schools and Dramatics
In the early settlement of the Valley there were few incorporated towns, however, practically every settlement was as completely organized as thought it had a mayor and city council. This was brought about through the ecclesiastical organization of the Mormon Church. Especially in the agriculture sections counties grew up as Stakes of Zion or grand bishoprics. Over every settlement a bishop was appointed with his counselors and over the whole a president of a stake. The stake organization also included the ecclesiastical councils of the various wards, high priests’ quorums, seventies’ quorums elders, teachers, etc. and the high council of the stake.
On the 14th day of November, 1859, when the Logan Ward was organized by Apostles Orsen Hyde, Ezra T. Benson and Peter Maughan, William B. Preston was appointed as bishop of Logan, Peter Maughan the presiding bishop of Cache Valley and George L. Farrell, secretary. In March 1860, Apostle Ezra T. Benson moved to Logan as he had been appointed to preside over the Cache Valley Stake of Zion.
April 14th, 1861, Logan City was divided into four Wards with Benjamin Lewis, Bishop of the First Ward; Henry Ballard, Bishop of the Second Ward; John B. Thatcher, Bishop of the Third Ward; and Thomas X. Smith, Bishop of the Fourth Ward.
Later, just before the death of President Brigham Young, he personally reorganized the Cache Valley Stake, with Moses Thatcher, president, William B. Preston, first counselor and Milton D. Hammond, second counselor. The high council of the stake were: C. W. Card, Hans Anderson, Alvin Crockett, James A. Leishman, George T. Benson, Ezra D. Carpenter, Charles B. Robbins, George W. Thatcher, Sr., H. K. Cranney, Charles C. Hurst, Niels Hanson and Anthon L. Skanchy.