An Early History of Cache County…

<<Back Index Next>>

Compiled by M. R. Hovey, Secretary, Logan Chamber of Commerce. January 1, 1923 to January 1, 1925. Also as printed in the Logan Journal, beginning August 4, 1923.

Mendon Utah Logo

Establishment of the Methodist Church and School

The Utah Mission of the Methodist Church decided to establish a missionary school and mission at Logan and extend their work throughout the Valley. A church and a small school building were therefore erected on the corner of Main and East Center Streets in 1889, with Reverend Steves as the first pastor and Miss Sweet as the first schoolteacher. Later Miss Dryden assisted in the school teaching.

Other pastors of the church were Reverends, Jones, Hardman, Bascomb, Smith, Clifton, Wasson, Norfleet and Martin Thomas.

As there are no available records of the activity of the Methodist Church In Logan, it is impossible to give much of the early history.

The church and school building erected by the church was removed and the corner on East Center and First East was purchased with the view of building a church there.